lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #11
delagem
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Rear differential oil

There should be 2 plugs on your transaxle. The lower one is the drain, #22; the one a few inches higher on the side is the fill plug, # 21.

Item #12 is the Breather, aka "vent", near the very top of your transaxle. You don't want to fill thru that.

Always open the fill plug before you remove the drain plug, and drain your fluid. You always open the fill plug first, so that you don't find yourself in a situation where you can't get the fill plug out, but you've already drained the fluid out.

I always thought the debate about "how much oil" was comical, as you can only put enough in to reach the fill hole; any more added is just going to pour back out before you can get the plug in. Unless you flip your cart on its side to fill?

Mine took about 22 oz to fill. I used the Royal Purple 30 wt.

As to the debate on oil weight, you could fill this thing with anything from Wesson to axle grease. You'll never put enough miles on the average cart to where it will matter....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carryall transaxle.jpg (133.0 KB, 181 views)
delagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #12
SKUNKVILLE SCOOTER
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by delagem View Post

You always open the fill plug first, so that you don't find yourself in a situation where you can't get the fill plug out, but you've already drained the fluid out.
Hey Delagem,

That is some excellent advise..... I have done the 'Paint yourself into a corner' kinda bone-head moves before.

I just got this cart and haven't been under it but maybe a couple of times, never looking at the diff, but hoped it would have a fill plug like a car where openning the plug should provide liquid if full or none if more is needed.

As for the weight of the lubricant, I agree with you...

Thanks again.

Danny aka: SKUNKVILLE SCOOTER
SKUNKVILLE SCOOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:54 PM   #13
ForBruce
Mr. Helper

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
Wow . . you sent him to THAT thread? . . . . He's probably still scratching his head . . .
NOPE---hate to break it to ya steve

got the correct answers direct from club car

30wt oil if the cart is used all year long
80-90wt if only used in the summer ( and it was also recommended that i use only the heaver weight as all purpose all year long )

note when I put in 30 wt the rear end became noisey in only 3 weeks ..since then i switched to 80w-90 synthetic and it runs great and no more noise

put that in your pipe
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #14
scottginfla
72 volt torque monster

Club Car

seems to me that once you pull the drain plug, should be obvious if it had 30w or 80w-90, then replace with whichever one was in there, never seen 80w90 get so thin as you would think it was 30w.
scottginfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #15
schesley
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

JakeSnake

I am fairly new to this site. I've been reading up on the differential recently. I just drained and refilled my '95 DS less than an hour ago. The posts telling you 20-22 oz are correct. I used HD30 oil. The fill plug on mine was on the driver side of the housing, about mid-axle high. It can be a little hard getting the oil in there, there isn't alot of room there. I rigged up a small 1/4" hose to a funnel, measured out the 22 oz, and hung the funnel so it could drain in. A little larger hose would be better, but not so large it can't fit in the fill hole.

Don't let the amount you drain out fool you. If it hasn't been serviced in a long time, there could be much less than there should be, as I just found out. Also, take a minute to use a wire brush to clean around the fill area first. Mine had a lot of sand and junk around it. I'm sure it wouldn't be good to push some of that into the rear end as you're filling it. And be measuring the oil before filling, you can jack the cart up, or back it onto ramps, so it's easier to see what you're doing. You won't have to worry about overfilling when it is on a slope.

I've owned this cart for over five years, and had never checked it. I use my as a golfer, and most of the owners I know are the same. I'd never even heard anyone mention checking it before, and thought it was a sealed system. Now I know.

If the whole cart thing is new to you, I would advise going through the stickys, and just browsing around when you have some time. There is plenty of valuable information, and some very helpful people here.
schesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #16
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForBruce View Post
NOPE---hate to break it to ya steve

got the correct answers direct from club car

30wt oil if the cart is used all year long
80-90wt if only used in the summer ( and it was also recommended that i use only the heaver weight as all purpose all year long )

note when I put in 30 wt the rear end became noisey in only 3 weeks ..since then i switched to 80w-90 synthetic and it runs great and no more noise

put that in your pipe
Warning! Another typo by "for bruce"!
There is no typo in the manual as previously stated by "for bruce" There never was a typo!
The question was asked, the answers, (all correct) were given.
Everything beyond that remains opinion and conjecture which “for bruce” prefers to accept as fact because it better serves his mis-statements.

You smoke the pipe bruce!
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:44 PM   #17
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Exclamation Re: Rear differential oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by schesley View Post
JakeSnake

-snip-

I used HD30 oil.
I am not sure that will turn out to be a good choice as HD means "High Detergent" and will probably give all your bearings a real fit over time. You may want to refer to your manual or ask an expert, but my experience with HD oils were they never went in open lubed bearing applications.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:46 PM   #18
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by schesley View Post
JakeSnake

I am fairly new to this site. I've been reading up on the differential recently. I just drained and refilled my '95 DS less than an hour ago. The posts telling you 20-22 oz are correct. I used HD30 oil. The fill plug on mine was on the driver side of the housing, about mid-axle high. It can be a little hard getting the oil in there, there isn't alot of room there. I rigged up a small 1/4" hose to a funnel, measured out the 22 oz, and hung the funnel so it could drain in. A little larger hose would be better, but not so large it can't fit in the fill hole.

Don't let the amount you drain out fool you. If it hasn't been serviced in a long time, there could be much less than there should be, as I just found out. Also, take a minute to use a wire brush to clean around the fill area first. Mine had a lot of sand and junk around it. I'm sure it wouldn't be good to push some of that into the rear end as you're filling it. And be measuring the oil before filling, you can jack the cart up, or back it onto ramps, so it's easier to see what you're doing. You won't have to worry about overfilling when it is on a slope.

I've owned this cart for over five years, and had never checked it. I use my as a golfer, and most of the owners I know are the same. I'd never even heard anyone mention checking it before, and thought it was a sealed system. Now I know.

If the whole cart thing is new to you, I would advise going through the stickys, and just browsing around when you have some time. There is plenty of valuable information, and some very helpful people here.
Ok, thanks for the info! I don't think the oil has ever been changed, and it's a '96, so it will definetely help it! I will probably put in HD30 oil.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:05 AM   #19
ForBruce
Mr. Helper

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by essness View Post
Warning! Another typo by "for bruce"!
There is no typo in the manual as previously stated by "for bruce" There never was a typo!
The question was asked, the answers, (all correct) were given.
Everything beyond that remains opinion and conjecture which “for bruce” prefers to accept as fact because it better serves his mis-statements.

You smoke the pipe bruce!
You can say what you want about me ....that is your right but the facts dont lye

2 different club car service agencys AKA club car dealers both disagree with the service manuals choice of 30wt
fairway golf carts on long island ,new york
orange county golf carts in port jevis

...and by the way yamaha's manual states to use 90wt also

and just for the record i'm 30yrs in a field that has machines costing from $4,000 to $100,00 and not much difference between a 230volt electric motor attached to a speed reducer which always has 90wt oil ....

i respect the fact that you have 13,000 or so posts but i also have 30yrs experience

so "there are two roads intersecting in the woods and i take the one less traveled by"

have a good day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yamaha1.jpg (42.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg yamaha2.jpg (39.4 KB, 10 views)
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #20
SKUNKVILLE SCOOTER
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

1300cc....?

Is the differential that much larger on the Yamaha carts...?

I thought everyone decided 600cc was the 'Ballpark' capacity...?
SKUNKVILLE SCOOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car