lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-2011, 05:33 AM   #11
ZackMan
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car add on light kit problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec3201 View Post
On the 04-07s the kit is plug and play. The existing harness hooks up to the kit under the dash and in the battery compartment. It runs off of battery #4 for 12 volts.

Do you have the precedent with the 8 volt batts? That would be a different beast, I suppose. I can't believe the dealer has no clue, WTF??

Also, the OBC has nothing to do with the lights on my precedent, there is no factory brake switch and/or timer either. But, the factory harness is light kit ready.
Stevec3201,

I have the 4 12 volt configuration. When I install a light kit it will be the basic setup. This forum exchange will be very helpful in understanding the differences between the light kits.

ZackMan

Last edited by ZackMan; 10-02-2011 at 05:37 AM.. Reason: To correct poster's name.
ZackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #12
trigger1937
Gone Wild

OK,..Now I'm on the the last lap. I finally got some time to put the basic light kit on and the bucket harness and here is a few facts that may help others.

1. Unbolting the front bumper is no fun at all. The bolt comes down from the top of the Aluminum frame and the top bolt is 9mm and the nut on the bottom is 13mm and requires a DEEP socket. So I had to use a rachet up top and a wrench on the bottom. There was only sufficient room to turn the ratchet handle 30 degrees so you can imagine how long it took to get the nut off.

2. The new bumper light kit did not fit. The holes on the frame are 9" apart and the kit holes were slotted but were 9-14/" apart. Worse than that the old bumper mounting flange went inside the frame opening. The new metal tabs would not fit inside and they were too close to fit outside. So I had to bend them open just to get the tabs over the top and bottom of the frame. I also loosened the 4 chassis - Frame bolts and wedged the frame apart to pick up the 1/4". Once I got the bolts through and the nuts on it all tighened up OK.

3. The wiring under the dash was simple enough since there is really only the new light switch and a hole to drill.

4. The Bucket harness is a piece of art and everything was long enough. The most difficult part was drilling the holes for the tail lights as my 1-1/2" hole drill broke. So I got one of my 1" pancake bits and used that along with a 1/2" bit. Not pretty but very quick. I straighten out a coat hanger and used that to fish the tail light cables to the rear.

5. Hooked up the power and ground wires and the fuse and put it back in run. Strange that no matter what you do when you take off the ground wire and put the cart in tow, once you put it back you have to wait 5-7 seconds for the OBC to power up. The way I know it is back up is to put the switch in reverse and wait till I hear the busser. I pulled on the light switch and "Eureka",... we have lights.

Now my big problem is the Turn Signal wiring and the brake light switch. The light kit I bought came with a 9 pin connector in the Dash area to connect the turn signal wiring and other stuff. I need to get the matching half of the 9 pin connector and the crip pins it takes. I also am ordering a Brake light switch kit. So I'm almost half done with this part of the upgrade.
trigger1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #13
ZackMan
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger1937 View Post
OK,..Now I'm on the the last lap. I finally got some time to put the basic light kit on and the bucket harness and here is a few facts that may help others.

1. Unbolting the front bumper is no fun at all. The bolt comes down from the top of the Aluminum frame and the top bolt is 9mm and the nut on the bottom is 13mm and requires a DEEP socket. So I had to use a rachet up top and a wrench on the bottom. There was only sufficient room to turn the ratchet handle 30 degrees so you can imagine how long it took to get the nut off.

2. The new bumper light kit did not fit. The holes on the frame are 9" apart and the kit holes were slotted but were 9-14/" apart. Worse than that the old bumper mounting flange went inside the frame opening. The new metal tabs would not fit inside and they were too close to fit outside. So I had to bend them open just to get the tabs over the top and bottom of the frame. I also loosened the 4 chassis - Frame bolts and wedged the frame apart to pick up the 1/4". Once I got the bolts through and the nuts on it all tighened up OK.

3. The wiring under the dash was simple enough since there is really only the new light switch and a hole to drill.

4. The Bucket harness is a piece of art and everything was long enough. The most difficult part was drilling the holes for the tail lights as my 1-1/2" hole drill broke. So I got one of my 1" pancake bits and used that along with a 1/2" bit. Not pretty but very quick. I straighten out a coat hanger and used that to fish the tail light cables to the rear.

5. Hooked up the power and ground wires and the fuse and put it back in run. Strange that no matter what you do when you take off the ground wire and put the cart in tow, once you put it back you have to wait 5-7 seconds for the OBC to power up. The way I know it is back up is to put the switch in reverse and wait till I hear the busser. I pulled on the light switch and "Eureka",... we have lights.

Now my big problem is the Turn Signal wiring and the brake light switch. The light kit I bought came with a 9 pin connector in the Dash area to connect the turn signal wiring and other stuff. I need to get the matching half of the 9 pin connector and the crip pins it takes. I also am ordering a Brake light switch kit. So I'm almost half done with this part of the upgrade.
trigger1937,

Thanks a bunch for the feedback. This will be great help to others contemplating a light kit install.

#1 - a picture, if possible, would be great in understanding what you are conveying in regard to the "new" light kit.

#4 - you did not say and probably you did. Do you already have a converter? If not, I presume you linked to the appropriate battery.

I am learning this "stuff" and feedback like this is always welcome.

ZackMan
Old 10-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #14
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackMan View Post
trigger1937,

Thanks a bunch for the feedback. This will be great help to others contemplating a light kit install.

#1 - a picture, if possible, would be great in understanding what you are conveying in regard to the "new" light kit.

#4 - you did not say and probably you did. Do you already have a converter? If not, I presume you linked to the appropriate battery.

I am learning this "stuff" and feedback like this is always welcome.

ZackMan

Couldn't' any battery be used when hooking it up?
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #15
ZackMan
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
Couldn't' any battery be used when hooking it up?
erict,

I read here on the forum somewhere that in a 4 12 volt configuration, the #4 battery is used when installing a light kit, but I could have misinterpreted what I saw. Your feedback?

ZackMan

Old 10-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #16
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackMan View Post
erict,

I read here on the forum somewhere that in a 4 12 volt configuration, the #4 battery is used when installing a light kit, but I could have misinterpreted what I saw. Your feedback?

ZackMan

You are correct and that is where mine is hooked up as well. I just don't see why you could not use any of the 4 batteries for a 12v feed, thoughts?
Old 10-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #17
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Wow, glad I didn't opt for brake lights or turn signals. My 06 came right off a golf course but it was still wired such that all I had to do was plug into the harness behind the dash, install the switch, and plug into the blue wire that was already dangling off the 4th battery, and then make the connection from there to the wiring area in the middle of the battery bay. Plugs for tail lights were already there behind the body, just had to drill the recommended holes.

Only issues I had were: 1 -trying to get the new front bumper assembly to line up properly with the holes. Mine weren't far off - just needed a little muscle persuasion to get lined up enough. 2 - the rear lights wouldn't stay stuck to the body. They'd get hot in the sun and would start to come loose. Replaced what came on them with some professional grade double stick automotive tape and haven't had any problems since.

I've since installed an extra 12v battery and rewired my lights and accessories to that.

Erict, I'm certainly not the expert, but if you use the positive off of another battery, won't you be increasing voltage by 12v per battery? In other words, go to the third battery, wind up with 24 volts, 2nd battery - 36, etc? Unless you also rewire your ground to the same battery you are running positive off of.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #18
ZackMan
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
You are correct and that is where mine is hooked up as well. I just don't see why you could not use any of the 4 batteries for a 12v feed, thoughts?
I do not have a definitive position on this one; however, I plan on using a converter of at least 25 amps which will spread the current across all four batteries in my configuration. I want to expand electrics at some point and will use the higher amperage converter to handle the additional current.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #19
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltLifeCC View Post
Wow, glad I didn't opt for brake lights or turn signals. My 06 came right off a golf course but it was still wired such that all I had to do was plug into the harness behind the dash, install the switch, and plug into the blue wire that was already dangling off the 4th battery, and then make the connection from there to the wiring area in the middle of the battery bay. Plugs for tail lights were already there behind the body, just had to drill the recommended holes.

Only issues I had were: 1 -trying to get the new front bumper assembly to line up properly with the holes. Mine weren't far off - just needed a little muscle persuasion to get lined up enough. 2 - the rear lights wouldn't stay stuck to the body. They'd get hot in the sun and would start to come loose. Replaced what came on them with some professional grade double stick automotive tape and haven't had any problems since.

I've since installed an extra 12v battery and rewired my lights and accessories to that.

Erict, I'm certainly not the expert, but if you use the positive off of another battery, won't you be increasing voltage by 12v per battery? In other words, go to the third battery, wind up with 24 volts, 2nd battery - 36, etc? Unless you also rewire your ground to the same battery you are running positive off of.

Is it a pigtail from the #4 battery (blue pigtail) to a wire harness connector in the battery bay?
Old 10-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #20
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Quote:
Is it a pigtail from the #4 battery (blue pigtail) to a wire harness connector in the battery bay?
Yes, the OEM style light kit should come with a blue wire with an inline fuse. One end hooks to the blue pigtail on batt 4 and the other plugs in down where all the other wiring is in the battery bay (instructions will tell specifically where it goes).
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car