lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-22-2011, 08:18 AM   #11
ForBruce
Mr. Helper

Club Car

Default Re: Battery/Wires Grounding Out On frame?

disconnect all wires going to your motor...... and do the same test again for leakage...

sometimes as motor windings start to loose the coatings they will leak ( conduct voltage ) to the casing of the motor and thecarts frame.

in any case if you still have leakage you can now discount the motor causing it
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-22-2011, 09:02 AM   #12
caokgafamily
Gone Wild

Club Car

Forbruce,

I have a PQ Bandit that's only 6 months old.

Steve
caokgafamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #13
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

" JohnnieB " calls this a " ghost voltage ". He'll have to explain it to you. " scottyb " and the others that talked about the battery tops are correct! The film of electrolyte or even dirt conduct electricity. Try this, put your meter probes right on the tops of the battery about 6" apart. See voltage? Amazing, isn't it?
What everyone said about having no chassis ground on an electric cart, is correct. You should never do this! One reason, that I found out, is you can get the hell shocked out of you! Another reason is that tools can short out the batteries to the frame, if it is grounded.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:37 AM   #14
caokgafamily
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm on my 3rd radio in 3 years. I wonder if this ghost voltage is slowly killing my radio's? The radio frame chasis is not touching any frame or alum. The last one that went out came back with fault codes on the lcd read out. The internal amp was fried. It wasn't me you can only crank Bocephus so loud.
Steve
Old 12-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #15
caokgafamily
Gone Wild

Club Car

This has been a learning experience! Forbruce was correct!!!! Side note: I removed all the bats and cleaned everything, very!!! dirty, I spray to much cable anti corrosion spray, I thought this was causing the grounding. I painted all the battery tray. Hooked evrything back up and **** still reading 10 volts plus from the frame. Then for shits and grins I started moving the F&R switch and if you put it in center NO readings of voltage on the frame. Then I pulled the 4 wires to the motor came back and still nothing even moving the F&R. I switched my Meter to OHM? & S1 & S2 peg out! I guess the motor windings are going bad. So is my Bandit to weak for my FSIP 500 and my 25" swaper tires? The cart still runs great, but I think the leakage from the Bandit going through the frame is spiking my voltage reducer, because its alum mounted to the frame and maybe increasing the voltage to the radio? What kind of problems am I goin to have if the Bandit is leaking? Do I need to upgrade to the ASSASSIN? **** cart cost to much time and money, all I want to do is ride and pull the big hill's and listen to tunes when Im not hunting..........
Steve
Old 12-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #16
ForBruce
Mr. Helper

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by caokgafamily View Post
This has been a learning experience! Forbruce was correct!!!! Side note: I removed all the bats and cleaned everything, very!!! dirty, I spray to much cable anti corrosion spray, I thought this was causing the grounding. I painted all the battery tray. Hooked evrything back up and **** still reading 10 volts plus from the frame. Then for shits and grins I started moving the F&R switch and if you put it in center NO readings of voltage on the frame. Then I pulled the 4 wires to the motor came back and still nothing even moving the F&R. I switched my Meter to OHM? & S1 & S2 peg out! I guess the motor windings are going bad. So is my Bandit to weak for my FSIP 500 and my 25" swaper tires? The cart still runs great, but I think the leakage from the Bandit going through the frame is spiking my voltage reducer, because its alum mounted to the frame and maybe increasing the voltage to the radio? What kind of problems am I goin to have if the Bandit is leaking? Do I need to upgrade to the ASSASSIN? **** cart cost to much time and money, all I want to do is ride and pull the big hill's and listen to tunes when Im not hunting..........
Steve
Glad to hear you found it....

but s1 to s2 will always peg out...and so will f1 to f2 what you are looking for is each terminal to the casing of the motor.... ( that tests windings to ground )

Just a side note a regular (VOM ) volt ohm meter tests continunity with only 3volts. This voltage is usually not enough generate a leakage reading to ground. For this purpose i use an insulation break down meter (mega tester) that generates 500 volts for testing at extremely little amperage. This always finds leakages.

That is why sometimes people have trouble finding ground faults.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #17
ForBruce
Mr. Helper

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by caokgafamily View Post
I'm on my 3rd radio in 3 years. I wonder if this ghost voltage is slowly killing my radio's? The radio frame chasis is not touching any frame or alum. The last one that went out came back with fault codes on the lcd read out. The internal amp was fried. It wasn't me you can only crank Bocephus so loud.
Steve
caokgafamily
If you have the radios antenna mounted on a metal frame you could be grounding the entire radio. Which is no no on golf carts and pulling some STRAY amperage draw thru the radio. Hense your radios don't last long.........
Old 01-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #18
dgcurtis
Getting Wild

Club Car

My friends cart is doing the same exact thing. It's a 2001 CC PDS and it appears to be a + current on the frame. If I disconnect the main positive that goes back to the controller, the voltage slowly drops like a capacitor is slowly discharging.
dgcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car