lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
vichudd
Not Yet Wild

Default '96 EZGO 36 v elec. batteries self-discharge

This problem has no doubt been discussed before so I'll be brief. New batteries are self-discharging. Also the car will go forward or backward without turning the key switch to the 'on' position if the "Tow/Run" switch is in the 'run' position. If someone could direct me to the appropriate thread I'll be your friend forever. thanks in advance for your help.
vichudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: '96 EZGO 36 v elec. batteries self-discharge

Sounds to me like the solenoid is welded closed. The cart can not shut off. Disconnect the main+ and remove the resistor and any wires on the solenoid large posts. With your meter check for continuity between the large posts. There should be none.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
vichudd
Not Yet Wild

Unhappy Re: '96 EZGO 36 v elec. batteries self-discharge

Thank you very much scottyb. I will check it first thing in the morning and post my findings. Since you mentioned the solinoid; I have had to flip the switch (Tow/Run switch)two or three times on more than one occation to get it to turn off. I have gotten into the habit of always flipping that switch to the Maint./Tow position every time I finish with the cart for the day and I listen for the sound of it opening. The trouble I'm having with it has been ongoing for quite a while. Two winters ago the power to the cart-barn was off for a couple of weeks (maybe not quite that long) and the batteries froze or somehow got ruined. I didn't put new ones in it until about six months ago and when I did I discovered that there was other electrical damage - things that I could not handle. So I asked around and got refferences for a guy who rebuilds golf carts as a hobby. People said he was very good with them. So I took it to him with instructions to do whatever was necessary to get it running. Two months and $1200 later I got it back. It works, but I never know if the batteries will be up enough when I need it. Sometimes I have to charge them for two or three hours before I can use it. It will get me through 18 holes of golf with a full charge but it sure is worrisome not knowing if it will be charged up the next time I need it. Sorry this post is so long but I thought it might be helpfull for you to know the whole story.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

What I found useful was this " I have had to flip the switch (Tow/Run switch)two or three times on more than one occation to get it to turn off."
What you are doing when you cycle the run/tow switch is rebooting the computer. When this makes the cart run, the problem is in the controllers program. Eventually it won't come on anymore and you will replace the speed control to make it run. My guess now, with this new information is that the solenoid will test good when checked as instructed in my previous post.

Let us know, When the cart won't go is the reading on the negative side of the solenoid activation circuit very low? Like 5v?
Old 03-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
vichudd
Not Yet Wild

You are right scottyb. The solinoid tests good. I sure hate to hear that the controller may be going bad! Those things are expensive. The knucklehead that I had to do the work on the cart put a new "heavy duty" (500 amp?) controller on it and I'm thinking it was about $500. I may have reached the point of deminishing returns on this cart! With the repairs I've already had done I've got about $3k in it. Is there a way to test the controller to see if it is failing?
Old 03-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Do you not have any warranty on the work he did? Most aftermarket controls have a 1 yr factory warranty.

If you are on your own with this you need to check the whole solenoid activation circuit for flaws or intermittent switches and connections before condemning the control.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo Series solenoid activation diagram.jpg (107.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
vichudd
Not Yet Wild

Nope, no warranty for his work. It's my fault - I should have taken the cart to a certified repair shop. I made a bad decision to use the "shade tree" mechanic and now I'm paying for that mistake. The good news is I'll never make that mistake again!
Thanks for the schematic, I'll try to work through it as soon as I get a chance. I've just about decided to use it 'till it stops and then go get a new one. No more electric carts for me though! Thank you very much for your help and advice scottyb...........
Old 03-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Electric carts are good, you just need the right shop or support team like BGW. You probably could have done the same work he did for a fraction of the cost.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
vichudd
Not Yet Wild

Yes, I'm sure you are right. The guy I hired was nothing more than a 'parts changer' and anyone with a little common sense can change parts untill the problem goes away. I can assure you that I won't be making any hasty decisions about a new cart. I'll do the necessary research before I buy. And from now on I'll come to BGW for advice before any repairs.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by vichudd View Post
And from now on I'll come to BGW for advice before any repairs.
. . best decision you made so far . . .

edit: just noticed this is an EZGO cart . . . ?
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries discharge, electrical diagram, ezgo 36v
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car