lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2020, 09:01 PM   #1
coreyx64
Not Yet Wild

Default TXT48 Squeaky Rear Axle

Hello,
I have an EZGO TXT48 PDS Cart that has a rear axle that persistently squeaks. Gears and differential oil all are clean and spiffy, and appears to be in the hub/brake assembly. The squeak seemed to shift with the weight and force of the cart (turning left affects the right rear wheel, and vice versa) but now is just continuous on either side. My initial thought is worn out hubs, as the brakes seem to operate just fine when driving the cart. Bearings are also in good shape, oiled and spin freely with no slop.

Long story short, it's acting like the hubs (or axle) are out of round. The squeak occurs once per revolution, like clockwork (literally). At full speed, the noise is so frequent it just blurs into the noise of the motor, wind, etc. so not as noticeable. This cart is heavily used during the summer months (to the tune of 600-800 miles per season via the in-built GPS odometer), and is parked for the winter.

This is it's 2nd drive axle in less than 2 years (first had completely shredded gears with no teeth left, now this one with the irritating squeaks) and I'd rather not go for number 3 if I don't have to.

Any input or suggestions welcome. If I have to splurge on whatever new parts to rebuild what I have, I have no problem doing so, just want to be sure before spending $.

Thank you!
coreyx64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-13-2020, 03:51 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: TXT48 Squeaky Rear Axle

I think those wheel bearings are suspect. They are not meant to be opened & are somewhat compromised in my opinion.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:09 AM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Are you still running stock hubs? Those are a known weak point on EZGOs. Scotty sells upgraded hubs.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:18 PM   #4
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I would pull rear hub and visually inspect brake shoes and drum.
Also make sure brake drums/hubs are tight.
Maybe with rear of cart jacked up spin wheel by hand to check for misadjusted brakes or bent axle.
Possible dragging brake shoe from frozen brake cable not releasing.
Few checks to make.😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:24 PM   #5
coreyx64
Not Yet Wild

Sorry for the delayed response - I didn’t get any notifications that I had replies.

@cgtech - not sure what you mean by opening the bearings but the only thing that was done really was hub removal. Manual spinning the bearings free hand felt no noticeable slop or grind. Fluid and smooth from what I could tell.

@bronsonj - a friend of mine has a 99 equivalent cart and said the exact same thing. Link or reference please? This honestly was the first thing I thought to replace given the poor track record of this component.

@Cobra,1 - didn’t notice any frozen brakes and watched the mechanism work with the hubs off. Nothing appeared out of the ordinary. It’s been months since I last messed with the cart so I’m a little fuzzy on the specific tests we were looking for as far as malfunctioning parts.

In the next couple weeks I’m going to take a look at it more in depth and will reply here when I do. My specialty is computer/electrical, not mechanical so dad is assisting with this and it’s pending his free time.

Thank you all for the suggestions, will keep you updated on new findings! [emoji3]
Old 02-10-2020, 07:19 AM   #6
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyx64 View Post
@bronsonj - a friend of mine has a 99 equivalent cart and said the exact same thing. Link or reference please? This honestly was the first thing I thought to replace given the poor track record of this component.
To purchase HD hubs I'd go to ScottyB's site. He's a sponsor of BGW. His page is https://www.cartsunlimited.net/

-- Edit --
I just went to Scotty's site and I can't find the HD hubs!!! I know there are HD hubs available as part of the upgrade to disk brakes, but you can also buy the HD hubs seperately. The other option is to buy the regular EZGO hubs again, they've lasted this long.

I will look for the link.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:48 AM   #7
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I found the upgraded hubs from another site sponsor. But they are almost $82 per side, so replacing both sides ends up being just shy of half the price of the disk brake upgrade... Links below for your viewing pleasure.

Ausco Disk Brake upgrade (Doesn't fit stock size rims IIRC):
https://www.jasonsgolfcarts.com/EZ_G..._p/brk-202.htm

EZGO hub upgrade:
http://www.cartpartsplus.com/brake-h...ts?search=hubs
Old 02-14-2020, 09:01 PM   #8
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I did’nt do a search but was’nt there a post where a Yamaha or other brand hub fit ez go’s and we’re a beefier version?🤔
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:24 PM   #9
coreyx64
Not Yet Wild

That’s news to me. Interesting concept if it would work though!
Old 02-19-2020, 03:03 PM   #10
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra,1 View Post
I did’nt do a search but was’nt there a post where a Yamaha or other brand hub fit ez go’s and we’re a beefier version?🤔
I thought it was Club Car but wasn't sure so I didn't post that. I believe you're correct though. But if you find the other hub and drum it'll probably be close to the same $ anyway. Unless you happen to have some parts carts available.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO