lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2021, 11:26 AM   #1
Rockten
Not Yet Wild

Default one 48v or 4 x 12v lithium?

Hi Guys,

What are the advantages and disasvantages of having a single luthium battery of of 48V versus multiple batteries forming 48v?

The above question relates primarily to the golf cart but in your advice can also let me know what is best to buy if I also plan to use them for solar panels when I am not using the golf cart

Thanks for all the answers
Rockten is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2021, 12:04 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: one 48v or 4 x 12v lithium?

Advantage of one 48V is that the BMS works on all of the cells together to keep them balanced.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 05:12 PM   #3
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Definitely want a single battery. As Volt_Ampare already stated, a single battery will have a single BMS protecting and balancing all the cells together. Four 12v batteries will have four BMS’s and the cells can only be balanced with the other cells in that battery, not the whole pack. You WILL end up in the situation where one battery will be limiting the maximum charge and discharge voltages of the whole pack.

It is best practice to have all lithium cells in a pack to be controlled by a single BMS.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:21 AM   #4
Andre Pappas
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I run an Eco Battery 48V 105Ah, they do identical cell matching as well in their batteries because Lithium is only as good as its lowest cell. I would recommend their battery and kit.
Andre Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:57 PM   #5
klubber
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Pappas View Post
I run an Eco Battery 48V 105Ah, they do identical cell matching as well in their batteries because Lithium is only as good as its lowest cell. I would recommend their battery and kit.
Little pricy and does that come with charger? There are many options with similar specs that are a lot less expensive
klubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:26 PM   #6
Rockten
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your valuable advices!
Old 06-27-2021, 04:41 PM   #7
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Having installed a bunch of setups using 4 12v lithium batteries and dealt with all the issues that entails I recommend a single 48v battery. Or possibly multiple 48v batteries hooked in parallel.......
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 07:48 PM   #8
Rockten
Not Yet Wild

Thanks rabbitreborn! I am glad I asked this question. On youtube I saw alot of lithium conversions where more than one battery is installed by people who should know as if it does not matter..
Old 06-28-2021, 08:00 AM   #9
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Hi Rockten,

It’s a good thing that you asked the question before forking out for a lithium battery upgrade. There is misinformation not only on YouTube, there are also suppliers that will happily recommend and sell you 12v lithium batteries for connection in series for a higher voltage or for many other inappropriate uses. It highlights the ignorance when it comes to lithium battery technology.

The following is off topic but needs to be explained so that people are made aware that lithium batteries cannot be substituted for lead acid in all situations.

It is widely assumed that because a lithium battery is advertised as 12v, it can be used in place of FLA or AGM batteries. This is okay in some applications, but certainly not all. In many situations you won’t be getting the most out of the battery, such as series connected, and in other situations it is downright dangerous, such as an automotive starter battery.

Disregarding the incorrect charging algorithm, in automotive starter applications, you WILL end up in the situation where the battery becomes fully charged and the BMS will disconnect the battery. You now have an alternator running without a battery connected. Any auto electrician can tell you that without a battery connected, the alternator output voltage will rise to dangerous levels, damaging the vehicles electronics, computers etc. Alternatively, if the battery is in a discharged state, it will draw huge currents from the alternator, possibly damaging it in the process. Either way, a very expensive exercise.

You should make sure that you are well informed before replacing a lead acid battery with lithium, and when you do, make sure you purchase a lithium battery that is appropriate for the task.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:18 AM   #10
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Youtube is a double edged sword-when the info is good it is a blessing, and not so much when you get wrong info!

I could not have done my conversion without this page, Rockten. Listen to what folks like Pat911 and Volt_Ampere (and others much smarter than me!) have to say and you will do just fine!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car