lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
Jeff H
Not Yet Wild

Default Anyone ever repacked a G1 muffler?

So my G1 is about the loudest golf cart at the campground. Not obnoxiously loud, but a lot louder than the 4 stroke ones out there. I would like to quiet it a little more.

The golf cart smoked a lot so I BBQed the muffler a few weeks ago and the motor is running well and the smoking is much lighter but the cart is just as loud as it was before the BBQ.

Has anyone cut one of these open and repacked them with the dirt bike muffler packing that they sell at the motorcycle stores? How did that work out? I would assume that you just cut the muffler around the circumference, pack it up and reweld it?
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: Anyone ever repacked a G1 muffler?

If you do this you will change the back pressure and the engine will likely run like crap. The back pressure is very important on 2 strokes. Also they are normally a bit louder than a 4 stroke.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:44 AM   #3
badbowtie
Getting Wild

I also have a g1 and have almost the loudest golf cart at campground I would love to try to make some sort of silencer for the cart. I sent this member a pm but has not been on in over a month. I sure would like to see some kind of image not placing how he did this. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...g-similar.html
badbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Is it louder than this? I have a Plowman's performance muffler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=zf2CYtBjb6I
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

i think there is no packing in there, think its a tuned "multi-chamber" muffler. a 2-stroke engine will hate it if you add packing where it doesnt belong, it is quite sensitive to exhaust tuning..
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Better off to add some kind of muffler or tailpipe on to the existing I would think, and make sure internal diameter/flow is greater than the G1 muffler.

Don't want to sound like a jerk, but G1 is a really old cart that was the best of its time...thus there are a million of them out there. But they are old and noisy, they ride harder, they stink and smoke, that is just the nature of the beast. I suggest you find another cart and swap over to a 4 stroke if that is what you want. Here people pay as much for a G1 as a G2 or G9, I have no idea why other than they don't know much about carts. The exhaust is not the only noisy thing about G1s, I don't think you will get one much quieter without significant fabrication and its easier to just move on to a different cart. Just my $.02, feel free to experiment all you want if you want to keep the cart. I love G1s, but they are what they are. I had one it was a powersliding monster, I could keep it sideways all day on grass or gravel. Wish I still had it.

The photos I saw of one there was no packing in there. You need a stinger, like the muffler on the back of a 2 stroke dirt bike.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha