lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2016, 04:10 PM   #1
Fast Ed
Not Yet Wild

Default Hunting Buggy LIghts - What I Did

Bought this cart in the spring and am going to use it on my farm as a hunting buggy. Needed to add some lights. This is what I added and why.

1. Changed stock headlight bulbs to LED. I used these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They are as bright as the stock lights and use a lot less juice.

2. Added spotlights up front in case the stock headlights with the new LED bulbs aren't bright enough. The spots bolted to the existing bolts in the front end where the crash bar is located. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3. Added flood lights on the sides in case I have to field dress a deer in the dark. I used the exising bolts for these, too. I ran the wires inside the roof brace and brought them out just above the controller where I drilled a hole in the body and used rubber grommets to protect the wires. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4. Added red lights over the fold down rear seat. The red lights are for morning arrival at the hunting area so I can see to get my gear and gun ready for hunting without ruining my night vision. It's hard to see them in the picture but they are about 15" long and fit nicely under the edge of the roof using two angle brackets to fasten them to the metal brace there. These wires also ran down through the roof brace. Here's where I got them. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5. Added a 12 volt outlet next to the F/R switch for a hand held spot light.

6. Removed the factory voltage converter and added a MadJax 30 amp voltage reducer and a fuse block for the accessories. I wired the existing headlight wiring through the new converter and fuse block along with the new stuff I added. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7. Added a combination 12v voltmeter and dual USB charging port to the dash along with the switches for the lights. This got messy as the switch housing didn't fit the hole very well and I had to epoxy it in place. Looks kinda crappy, but it is solid. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am thinking of moving one of the side floods to the rear in case I need to see better while loading or unloading the flatbed in the dark. I would still leave one flood on the side for field dressing deer in the dark, but don't need them on both sides at the same time.

Fast Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2016, 04:40 PM   #2
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Hunting Buggy LIghts - What I Did

Ed,
I like your way of thinking for a hunting cart. I have a green DS that I'm going to make into one too. I have no lights at all so your design has me thinking. Great work so far
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:59 PM   #3
gumpbuck
Gone Wild

Club Car

Very nice! I also have running lights up front. But I replaced the bulbs with green LEDS. They give off just enough light for me to see the trail as I make way to my stand. But the lower light will spook less game along the way.
gumpbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:51 PM   #4
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

It would be nice if the moderators on BGW would create a section for hunting buggies where we could just bounce ideas about hunting carts.

BTW gump did you put green LED lamps in your factory headlights or in aftermarket lights? I will go to and from my stand with candle light and if it's a bright moon... only my green LED head lamp will be used. It does make a difference.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:57 PM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

That set up will work for sure, but on my EZ-GO I have a separate 12-V battery that I run my lights and my front and rear winch from. That way I leave the battery power of the 8 Trojan T-105's just for the cart. I've never had an issue with draining the single 12-V and I winch the cart on and off my pickup every outing, plus if I bag a deer in the evening, I just use the headlights to assist in the field dressing. So, just a suggestion that you may want to go with a separate 12-V battery for the headlights.

FWIW
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:37 PM   #6
gumpbuck
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter450 View Post
It would be nice if the moderators on BGW would create a section for hunting buggies where we could just bounce ideas about hunting carts.

BTW gump did you put green LED lamps in your factory headlights or in aftermarket lights? I will go to and from my stand with candle light and if it's a bright moon... only my green LED head lamp will be used. It does make a difference.
I bought a $20 pair of Walmart running lights and then purchased the green LED bulbs of Ebay and replaced the bulbs that came with the lights. The factory headlights are still in place. So the running lights are mounted below and to the inside of the normal lights.

Here's a post I started a while ago.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...fog-lamps.html
gumpbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:08 PM   #7
Fast Ed
Not Yet Wild

If I needed a winch, I would definitely install the auxiliary battery. I don't have far to drive to hunt so I know I have enough juice without it.

I do have a 48v voltmeter to install yet. I just have to decide where to put it. I think it's going in the dash just below the switches so I can see it easily.

Fast Ed
Fast Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:57 PM   #8
Jim C
Gone Wild

Club Car

Good start.
A couple suggestions if I may.
I wouldn't leave the lights on the side, as they will find a tree or vines.
Put one on the back (as you mentioned) and one on the front.
Slide the gunracks closer together so they hold the stock and not the barrel, as it is the barrel is apt to bounce and more likely knock the scope out. Also with it closer your bow will fit too.
Oh and folding windshield for those cold mornings makes a huge difference.

I like the green lights gump I was looking for a green light bar but I think I like that better.
Jim C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:16 AM   #9
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ed,
You have the blackout theme going with your wheels, top, F&R seats and rack which I plan to do on my cart. Go ahead and prep and black out the front cowl dash surround trim and rocker panels. BTW, did you recover your front seat with black vinyl or use vinyl paint? I have the crème factory seat that is starting to crack on the seat cushion so I need to replace.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:19 AM   #10
Jim C
Gone Wild

Club Car

Is there a noticeable difference in the spot and flood light beams?
Jim C is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car